Thursday, November 19, 2009

Weekly 11/19/09 Articles and Letters

Articles and Letters


New Salonista Allen Feibelman sends info on how to find healthy Omega 3 fats without breaking your budget.



Hello Ellen.

Thank you for the hospitality.  I am glad to know of your activity in the world, to promote the free flow of important ideas and communication, to welcome those who are hungry for knowledge and for fellowship.  I respect the depth of your commitment to support people's growth and change because maintaining a facility such as you do, and so open to the public, requires a great deal of perspicacity as well.  So thanx.  

I recently have been researching less expensive sources of omega threes, so here are my findings which I said I would send along.  Sources of omega 3's largely boils down to animals which are allowed to eat plants (wild caught fish as opposed to farm raised; dairy and meat from animals which are mainly pastured), and I recently had a little luck which may help others in their journey to health and wellness.  

1. Canned fish is always wildcaught (as opposed to farm raised).  Plain old Kroger pink canned salmon, about 3 dollars for a can of about a lb, is as clean and as full of omega three rich fish oil as you are going to find in the most fancy copper river salmon from Whole Foods.  Please note that farm raised fish which does not feed on anything that has fed on algae is going to have omega 6, just like feedlot beef. I also speculate that you can't get fresher than canned, since it is processed almost immediately, and you get the added benefit of the calcium from the fish bones.  

2.  Busch's country corner carries ground beef that is 2.59/lb, is from northern Ohio, and is antibiotic and growth hormone free and, until the last six months of its life, is pastured.  They are in the market shed at Findlay and their ph. # is 513-723-1333.  It is not certified or labelled as such, so I am going on their testimony, and my assessment of their veracity, etc.  Please note that organic does not mean pastured.  Much organic dairy and beef is cornfed so, although it is free of toxins, it is not especially nutritious because it does not have omega 3's.
    Busch's will carry the ground beef again in January.  Their beef tastes to me much, much better than normal beef.  They don't carry it during the holiday season because they allot more space in their cases to holiday fare.  But come January you should be able to try it yourself by the lb. at about 2.59 per.  

3. Gibb's Cheese, also at Findlay Market (421-7459), has tub butter that is 3.10/lb and, again based upon conversations I had with the owner, Jeff, is pastured despite not being certified.  He visits his suppliers in Wisconsin yearly, so knows them somewhat, and knows his butter.  He tells me that grassfed butter is very white, and that as his supplier's cows have to supplement with corn during the winter the butter turns yellow.  His butter is grassfed except for Jan, Feb and Mar.  The butter also freezes well.  I am enjoying it, and I plan to put enough in my freezer to span the three month period when his butter is not grassfed.  I find it delicious.  

I am feeling much better eating lots of these omega 3 rich foods.  Weston Price reports that fish oils are very, very synergistic with grassfed butter, so I usually have some buttered bread or toast with my canned salmon, and I believe that I am feeling very satisfied from eating this way.  I like the canned salmon cold, so I keep a can in the fridge.  When I open it and put the remainder in tupperware, I put a new can in the fridge ready to go.  

Sincerely,
Allen.  



No comments: