Thursday, December 24, 2009


 
These rough notes have not been approved or edited by the speakers and contain inevitable misunderstandings and misquotes.  Also, opinions expressed are NOT necessarily Ellen's.  
At the Table on Wednesday 12/23/09:

Viddle, Carolyn Clark, Mira Rodwan, Byron Moody, Ellen Bierhorst,  Judy Cirillo,  Pete Altekruse, Julia Yarden, Vlasta Molak, (Welcome Viddle!)


Preamble; song; announcements; topics.

Carolyn's chai tea:  honey, good for what ails you. Anise (good for digestion),  Cardemom, clove (anti ceptice, anti paracitic) cinamon (fights fungus), Fennel , ginger,  (good for arthritis)... many other virtues.  

Ellen:  read Egypt journal...

Viddle:  I walked in the Sainai,,, wore a djelaba, white hooded garment.  Met guy on  a stelle, meditating on a pillar on a cushion, shaking.  Snorkled in the Red Sea.  


Carolyn:  paying homage to the sun, Mithras.  In the Roman empire, Mithras was very popular.  God of peace and of the sun.  They held Sunday sacred; they practiced baptism.  Communion of bread and wine.  Many similarities to Christianity.  Celebrated Mithramas on Dec 25.  200 years older than Christianity.  (ellen: see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithraic_Mysteries
which does not agree with this info.)  

...
Vlasta:  we didn't have Santa in communist countries.  Had a Grandpa Frost; put tree up for New Years.  

Julia:  Santa Claus is entirely different from St. Nicholas.  Santa Claus comes from the Laplanders shamanism...reindeers.  Yurts in a circle, covered with snow... only way in or out is thru the chimneys.  Jose Allegre:  The Mushroom and the Cross.  .......Reindeer shamaness.  
Sacred Mushrooms and History by James Arthur.  
Lots of our Christmas iconography comes from reindeer shamanism; the red and white candy cane, shepherd's crook.  

Carolyn  I have a story about drugs.  Was in graphic design school in Switzerland.  Dr Hoffman who invented LSD-25.  We had access to LSD.  I saw God... emerald city.  Mendelbrot, geometric patterns.  I understood eventhing: gravity, light, einstein.  
I did it 9 times.  the first time I was out of my body.  We do have Mendlebrot patterns.  

Vlasta  I heard on radio, guy from Saudi Arabia been accused of witchcraft.  The penalty for this is death.  ... women cannot drive there.  Terrible customs...

Julia  I have a movie "Beauty Academy of Kabul".  
2006 movie, documentary.  Women come into Kabul to teach salon stylists...  Shows what is going on in Afghanistan under the Taliban.  

Vlasta  I am still living off the grid and I find it invigorating.  

Viddle:  There was Judaism in China; in some places they still light candles on Friday nights.  

Carolyn:  I saw Prof. Steve Sunderland on TV; he was talking about hunger.  

Medical Tourism
Vlasta I went to India and had my teeth fixed for a fraction of the cost.  
My friend, retired airforce commander, lives in Delhi, suggested I come there for my dental work and I did.  the dentist was trained Ohio State.  They were really good.  
Contact Vlasta:  DrMolak@gmail.com
She is going to be the agent for them.  

Byron  What do any of  you know about the Tea Party?
Ellen:  see 

Byron  this Tea Party thing disturbs me.  
Mira  I was a the First Unitarian Church this summer when they came to protest Steve Driehaus' town meeting on health care.  

Ellen:  the health bill?  Is it another NAFTA.
Vlasta:  it is better re the prior conditions provision.  It is better to pass this bill now and eventually get Medicare for all.  

Judy:  I am  listening; it is interesting.  
Pete:  I think the Health Care thing is an issue and I can't figure out enough to know if it should be passed or not.  
Viddle:  there are some good things in the Senate plan.  ... the insurance cos are still protected, but this business of stopping insurance when you get sick, that's over. The no insur if you have pre-existing condition is over.  Those are two great improvements.  However, the insur cos are still int he game taking part of our health dollars.  ... Now, by including everybody, the insurance cos will make even more money.  

Pete  There still are plenty of issues that have to be worked out, but the outlines are pretty clear.  






No comments: